Texas Political Subdivisions (TPS) is committed to helping current Fund members receive the tools/equipment/training necessary to implement safe work practices and develop a solid loss prevention program. This is accomplished by providing Fund members with financial assistance to obtain resources that can assist in reducing the severity and/or frequency of losses.
Only current Guarantee Cost Fund members are eligible to apply. The member must have a designated “Safety Grant Coordinator.” The Coordinator may be a department head, maintenance supervisor or similar job position. This person must provide all necessary contact information and must sign the application being submitted. An additional signature should come from upper-level management (manager/administrator, mayor, principal, superintendent or select board member). For the purpose of this grant, department heads, are NOT considered upper-level management. The grants are awarded in August of each year. To be considered for the grant, your application must be received by the end of business day (17:00CT) May 1.
- The total requested cost must be above $500 and the maximum total amount available to any one member is $10,000.00. Grant requests must be for a single item/single types of items (such as body armor, eyewash stations, SCBA equipment, catalytic converter locks, fall protection, etc.)
- The items should not be purchased until you are notified the grant has been awarded. Projects that receive funding from other similar grant programs are not eligible for this Safety Grant.
- The equipment or service must be associated with the specific self-insurance coverage provided by TPS to the participating Fund member. For example, Fund members who only purchase workers’ compensation coverage would not be eligible for a grant to purchase video security equipment for their facility.
- To be eligible for a grant, the Fund member must have completed at least 75% of any Loss Control recommendations issued during the current policy period. Recommendations are considered outstanding when they have not been addressed within 60 days from the date of the risk control visit.
- Fund members with outstanding recommendations may submit grant application that includes systems and/or equipment that will correct the outstanding recommendation(s). The Fund member should review recent loss control recommendation letters to determine whether recommendations have been addressed. Alternatively, you may contact your Loss Control Representative directly to obtain copies of these reports or ask questions about the degree of compliance with recommendations.
- Grant awards are valid until the end of the calendar year in which the award was granted. This will be defined as the last business day in December by 17:00CT. Grant awards will immediately terminate upon notification of the member leaving TPS JSIF, which includes notification to TPS during an existing policy period.
- The total amount of Safety Grant monies will be determined each year by the TPS Board of Trustees (Board) based on the prior years’ Fund performance. Safety Grants are not guaranteed from year to year and may be discontinued at any time at the sole discretion of the Board.
- Only one application per Fund member may be submitted.
- The TPS Safety Grant Program will provide reimbursement to qualifying Fund members for approved purchases after supporting documentation has been provided to TPS. Supporting documents include a purchase order (PO), and a copy of the cancelled check for purchase of equipment. Credit card statement may be substituted for cancelled check. All supporting documentation must be received by TPS before the last business day in December by 17:00CT. Grants may only be used to purchase items pre-approved by TPS in the initial application.
- Funds disbursed under this program are intended to purchase safety equipment or services that directly enhance the safety of employees, or improve the protection of property, insured by TPS. Any items considered as normal course of business, or routine expenses such as repair of existing damage, regular maintenance, or annual equipment service do not qualify.
- Applications requesting items that directly enhance the safety of employees from severe or frequent workplace exposures and demonstrate a need to provide or replace non-existent or sub-standard equipment, will be given priority. All grant award decisions shall be made by TPS. Applications that do not meet program guidelines will not be considered.
- Applications may be submitted by written application which can be requested through your Loss Control Representative.
- Emergency Eyewash Stations
- SCBA Equipment
- Lockout/Tagout Equipment
- Upgrades to Fire Alarm System
- Flammable Liquid Safety Cabinets
- PPE (all)
- Wet Floor Signs
- AED (batteries and service)
- Lightning suppression
- First Aid supplies
- Bite sleeves (Special Education)
- Body Armor
- Bodily Fluid Clean-Up Kits
- EVAC-Aid Blankets
- Two-Way Radios
- Training Videos/CD – Library
- CAT Clamps – Catalytic Converter
- Security Cameras
- Hail Guards for HVAC units
- Vehicle Emergency Kits
- Payroll for any employee
- Organization Dues
- TPS Fund contributions
- Any insurance premium
- Regular maintenance costs
- Property repair expenses
- Building upgrades to meet current building codes
- ADA compliance retrofitting
The spirit of this program is to help make high-cost items more affordable while ensuring that as many Fund members as possible benefit. In all cases, the minimum reimbursement request must be at least $500.
All applicants will receive an award notification indicating the award amount, or a rejection letter indicating why the application was rejected in whole or in part. Amounts noted in the award letter will be based on the details provided in the application and supporting documentation, subject to program limitations.
Please read this entire document carefully to review eligibility, grant limitations, and other requirements before completing the application.
If you have any questions or need further clarification or assistance with completing your application, please do not hesitate to contact the TPS Loss Control Team.
*not a complete list